09 March 2016

Tutorial 13 - Distress Inks and Card Overlays (Part 1)

Good morning lovely crafters, I'm sharing a tutorial featuring distress inks and Craftwork cards overlays today,  I can't take full credit as Julie Hickey of Craftwork Cards demonstrated a very similar technique on Create and Craft TV but I have added an extra step to give a slightly different finish.  


For this tutorial I will be using;
Craftwork cards Card Overlays
Mini Distress Inks kit 1
Ink blending tool
water in a spritzer
blending mat
mini star stamps
stamp block
masking tape



I start by popping a card overlay out of it's carrier sheet, they are kiss cut so have some little pips that I cut back with a craft knife or sand with nail file. I apply masking tape to the reversse side of the overlay to keep all piece together. ***TOP TIP; de-tack the masking tape by placing it on your clothes and removing a couple of times, this means that it wont tear or pull at your paper and card!***


I picked out the yellow ink (mustard seed) and dabbed it on my blending mat a couple of times


Using the blending tool in a circular motion I apply ink to 3 areas of the overlay, if you go over the same area again it will intensify the colour.


I repeated this process with the pink ink - (Picked Raspberry)


and now the blue (peacock feathers)


and lastly the orange (spiced marmalade)


This is where the magic happen, I sprit/spary with water, this reacts with the ink and moves it and gives a mottled softer finish 


This is how it looks once dry, almost a water colour image...


Next I am adding stars to the overlay


I use the same colour ink for the star as the area I am stamping, blue on blue, pink on pink etc


I then pop out the die cut pieces, I now have an overlay to use and some die cut elements which can also be used on a project.

I will b showing you what I made with these pieces in a later post, so keep your eyes peeled and stop by again soon.  You can subscribe/follow my blog and receive updates etc by clicking below.

If you loved this tutorial I have a few more to share very soon.

Tx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, I appreciate your comments.